Underwater Propeller Repairs
Our Certified Propeller Technicians perform sophisticated Class approved underwater propeller repairs, which include straightening large bends, precision cropping and design modifications worldwide.
Certified Propeller Technicians
Upon completion of extensive practical and formal training on-site and at the Wartsila’s Propulsion facility in The Netherlands, our Technicians are qualified to accurately assess propeller condition and determine the best-engineered repair solution to maximize propulsive efficiency.
Class approved permanent repairs – previously possible only in a workshop after propeller removal – are now possible underwater using proprietary equipment and procedures.
Large bends can be straightened underwater in hours; dockside or at anchor. The underwater straightening process entails many cycles of cold static loading applied in sequence throughout the bend. Material thicknesses up to 50 millimeters can be successfully straightened with a Class approved permanent restoration process.
Straightening systems are designed and packaged for swift worldwide mobilization by air cargo.
Underwater Propeller Repair Services Include:
- Straightening large bends
- Removal of damaged blade sections
- Crack repair and propagation control
- Restoration of hydrodynamic edge contours
- Static balancing (calculations on-site)
- Hydrodynamic balancing (calculations on-site)
- Replacement of C.P. blades and blade seals
Design Modification Solutions:
- Pitch and camber alterations
- Diameter and blade area reduction
- Correction of propeller induced engine overload
- Contour modification to eliminate cavitation
- Edge modification, including anti-singing edge correction